Friday, February 5, 2010

Efficiency or Water Torture?

Drip. Drip. Drip.
Water torture was designed to drive a person crazy due to constant irritation. No time to relax or focus or gather yourself. Aren't we tempted to do the same in the workplace with interruptions and multiple focuses going on at the same time?
Let's face it, we can only really do one thing at a time, so maybe we need to adjust our thinking a little. If I have five projects to do and want to do them each well, I need to do one project at a time, then move onto the next until they're all done well.

Of course, that's not reality in the workplace, because there are also changes, interruptions, fire drills, etc. But it's all in the approach. If I can at least focus on one thing for as long as possible as a rule, then I'll handle the interruptions as just that, an interruption. That will positively affect the quality of my work and my morale.

Otherwise, my workplace life is multiple assignments plus interruptions plus fire drills which equals:.
Drip. Drip. Drip.



Barry LaBov
LaBov and Beyond
www.labov.com
LaBov Sales Channel
PB&J Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment