Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We have it all figured out

A friend introduced me to a president of a company, the thought being my company could help his brand. After thirty seconds, I had a pretty good idea that it was not going to happen.

He said hello and immediately launched into a reverie of all the great things his company was doing, how they had everything figured out and the tremendous results his leadership had brought his company.

He may have done many, many smart things but one thing that's not smart is shutting off your mind to new thinking. Will he do well? Maybe. Would it have hurt him to be humble, open up and be vulnerable to a different approach? It couldn't have hurt.

I can't afford to feel I'm the smartest guy in the room because 1) I'm not and 2) I'll never hear the smart things others have to offer. But I did appreciate his attitude because I didn't have to waste any time or energy trying to help him. He had it all figured out.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment