Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Leave on a high note

I was at a client party, it was filled a lot of laughter and an abundance of bigger-than-life personalities. The VP of advertising was pointing at a lonely grand piano sitting alone in the huge room. He and a few other execs were talking about how they'd love to sing a song but didn't know how to play. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I was faking my way through "The Piano Man" doing my best Billy Joel imitation on that grand piano along with the execs who had very loud and actually pretty good voices.

We finished up and a little while later, a lady walked up and said, "Do you know how to play 'Proud Mary'?" Within minutes it was an equally raucous rousing rendition of the Tina Turner version of the song. It was hilarious. I could see on the expressions of the people watching us that we were quite entertaining.

Then it was time to leave the party. Two rowdy songs were great. But one more performance might have made us the "people who wouldn't stop playing those stupid songs." My work there was done...you gotta know when to leave on a high note.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment