Thursday, October 7, 2010

Beware of Mynah Birds

Way back when I had at least a partial head of hair, I was in a rock band. We had a great singer who could sing like a bird. In fact, he used to admit, "I sing like a bird alright. A mynah bird, I'm a mimic." He could sound like any number of popular singers when singing the top hits of the day. Problem was, he didn't have his own, original style--he had numerous styles, all based on other singers.

One of my buddies used the term "mynah bird" the other day when speaking of a couple of people who basically repeated what the boss said to win the boss's favor.

In our businesses we have to fight the temptation to build our companies on corporate cover-band singers or mynah birds. If we want innovation, we need originality and character. And we leaders need to know when someone is merely just singing our tune.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com
www.labovsaleschannel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment