Thursday, January 12, 2012

Customer Communications

Many brands create customer communications, whether they be magazines, emails, newsletters or blogs. Taking a good look at them, one thing will emerge:
Many customer communications are not of interest to the customer.
Well-intentioned brands all too often communicate in a language that only they will appreciate. If I buy a computer, I don't want to know how to program it. If I have a financial advisor, I don't want to know which algorithms to apply in my investing. If I own a high-def  TV, please don't talk about technical details only an A/V installer can fathom.

Customers come in all shapes, sizes and pyschographics. Some are technical, others can't stand technical stuff. If you know the various motivations of your customers, you can communicate to them in their voice(s). Usually that means your message will not be in the words of the technician or engineer that services or even created that product.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
http://www.labov.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment