Thursday, May 28, 2009

It does hurt to ask sometimes

I saw a great blog of Seth Godin's on this topic recently and it inspired me to throw my two cents in. I'll set up the scenario:

Someone walks into your office and asks for something they don't deserve or something you feel is outlandish--certainly it's a request that you feel is out of line. As you look at them in shock, they add, "I thought I'd ask because it never hurts to ask, right?"


The answer to their question is: Wrong. It does hurt to ask sometimes. Making an outlandish request implies either the "asker" 1) is clueless, 2) is unappreciative of what they already have, or 3) thinks the "askee" is stupid enough to say "yes" just because he/she is asked.

I think it's best to avoid the outlandish requests by first looking inward and determining if you've done what is necessary to deserve it. If so, maybe the request isn't outlandish. If not, don't be surprised if you find it does indeed hurt to ask.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment