Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let it sink in

A consultant talked to me one day and was critical of an approach our company took in a particluar area. It wasn't a huge deal, but I thought about it and considered changing things to "fix" that. Then I forgot about it, fortunately. A month later, that consultant came out with an article in his newsletter touting that approach and giving our company credit for it. He obviously had changed his tune.

My learning on this is that some things take time to sink into our brains. Those things may be unattractive or uncomfortable at first. But after a while we see the beauty in them. Just like a song you hear the first time--maybe you don't like it or it's weird. Then a week later, you're humming it in your head and love it.

Our first response to ideas is not a guarantee, it may be only a reaction to something that feels different or unexpected. Likewise, had I knee-jerked and changed what the consultant spoke of, I would have been embarrassed reading his article.

Let it sink in. If you're humming the tune a week or so later, maybe it's a hit.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
http://www.labov.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment