Wednesday, February 9, 2011

He needs to change

We're all okay with the world changing as long as it's the other guy who does the changing and deals with it. But seldom, almost never, is it that simple--and it shouldn't be.

If I want you to perform better, is it really enough for only you to change? Or does it also require that I do a little changing, too?

If I don't grow and understand you better, then I'm just going to have to hope you do 100% of the heavy lifting. That's possible, but my inaction has just dramatically reduced the odds of success.

The more both sides give a little and grow, the better the chance of a lasting, meaningful change. Or I could just tell you to shape up or ship out. Which one sounds more likely to succeed?

Barry LaBov
LaBov & beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment