Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why Do I Fill My Life With Stuff?

I pride myself in being organized and having a good perspective about life, but I shake my head at some of the things I do.

Just as I tackle a troublesome issue and get it out of my life, I fill up that space with other things. So, instead of having room to breathe, I have more things to deal with.

Why do I do that? Maybe it's like "comfort food." You snack on junk food when you're nervous or to pass the time or to feel loved. Or maybe it's similar to having the TV or radio on while you work--it fills up that space.

When I fill up my life, it's a sort of "comfort busy" that makes me feel like I'm needed, it keeps my mind stimulated, etc.

In Biblical times, it would takes days to travel to a city on foot. Today, you can take a half-hour helicopter flight to that city, land, conduct business, return home, watch your son's ballgame, test ride a motorcycle and buy it, return home and order a new gadget over the the Internet, turn on the TV and watch a program you saved on TiVO. And we wonder why we feel stretched and stressed?

Walking three days to my next client appointment doesn't sound so bad after all.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com
LaBov Sales Channel
PB&J Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment