Monday, August 1, 2011

Making it difficult

Products have warranties that make us feel safer when buying those items. But if it takes an act of God to make that manufacturer replace it under warranty, what's the message to the customer?

I had a water heater that didn't work properly and over a four-month period it malfunctioned numerous times. It was under warranty, but the manufacturer resisted replacing it, so did the distributor. Over those four months I learned more about water heaters than I ever wanted to know. Finally, after the dealer intervened, we were delivered a brand-new beautiful water heater.

I had two learnings over this ordeal. First of all, I have never appreciated the luxury of having hot water before. Now, I do. I also learned that I will never buy a product from that manufacturer again. They had a great warranty that was designed to sell products, not service and retain customers.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
http://www.labov.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment