Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sometimes it's where you're coming from

Perspective is everything. I heard this one day:
I expect to be paid every day, whether I do anything to earn it. In fact, the company I work at is lucky I come into work.

That person lost his job. Actually he quit his job. Then his perspective changed, he needed money to survive. His goal was to find work.

A couple weeks later, I bumped into him and he was fired up and happy. He was proud of himself. He had worked hard and found a music gig that would keep him busy for a couple of weeks. It didn't pay a lot, but it was something.

The same person who a month earlier walked out on his job was now appreciative of a short-term music gig. He'll be scraping around for another job in a few weeks and he knows it. But now he's coming from a different place and he's happy for every opportunity.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment