Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Beware of claiming full responsibility, Part Two

In any earlier post, we discussed the danger of claiming full responsibility when indeed, it is not accurate. It is great drama to do so, but in business, that tactic will often backfire.

Why would a person take full responsibility instead of being accurate? A number of reasons:
  1. It is quicker and easier than truly analyzing and communicating
  2. It avoids confrontation
  3. There is confusion between feeling bad about something and saying it's all my fault (they are two different things)
  4. Often the person claiming full responsibility can do so without paying the price--his company and fellow co-workers will pay the price
The last point is key. If I say it's all my fault, am I saying I'll take money out of my wallet to pay for this problem or am I merely taking responsibility to look good, even at the risk of my company failing?

I believe if you really are 100% wrong, own up to it, now. However, if you are working with a customer that is disengaged and does not live up to their own promises, either decide 1) to take total responsibility and you pay for it (not recommended) or 2) be accurate and do the toughest thing: with respect, solve the issue.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
http://www.labov.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment