Monday, June 28, 2010

I've Never Done That Before

OK, imagine this:

You walk into a world-renown heart surgeon's office and want him to fix your heart condition. He looks at you and says, "I've never done this before. Even though I've fixed thousands of people with your condition, I've never met you before and I've never operated on you. Sorry."

I assume you'd feel the way I would, which is, "Give me a break. You've done things similar to this, apply what you've learned to me and heal my heart!"

How often in our business lives do we do the same thing as that surgeon? A customer needs something and we're uncomfortable because we've never done that before.

It's very tempting to play the "I've never done that before" card, but it won't get you anywhere. There are too many changes going on in technology and our world in general, for us to shut down at the thought of tackling something new.

The more successful we are, the more we have to apply what we've learned elsewhere to the new or different things we're being asked to do.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com
LaBov Sales Channel
PB&J Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment