Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Seventh Sense

In the ultra-popular movie, "The Sixth Sense," a child has a unique talent, he sees dead people. That talent is both a blessing and a curse to him.

Many of us have a Seventh Sense that is both a blessing and a curse:

We see what people can be.

This sounds nice and pleasant, but it is not always good. I've seen what a person could be--their potential and talent--and have erred. I've pushed them, raised my expectations and have been clueless as to why they don't seem to care. It took me years to realize that sometimes a person may be bright, talented and uniquely gifted for a particular career, but that doesn't mean they want to do that particular thing.

On the positive side, I have seen the potential in a person and she responded by exceeding everything I expected. That has been a tremendous experience for all.

My learning is: Even if we see that brilliant talent in a person, before doing anything to help or motivate them, make sure they have that dream, too.


Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com
LaBov Sales Channel
PB&J Newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment