Friday, April 17, 2009

Pay it Forward

When I was in my mid-20s trying to build our business, I had the fortune of working with three clients that helped me grow.

Each of these three guys - they never met and probably wouldn't been buddies because of how different they were - guided me. They gave me a chance. These guys were real old - each was about 40 years old at the time. They were successful execs at businesses, and they had a lot of things going on, but they gave me time. I've been grateful for them and think of them often. They set an example for me, one that I try my best to emulate.

My company recently interviewed Marc Lefton of AdHoles, one of the Web's first true social networking sites. He pretty much said that the purpose of the site was to Pay it Forward, to help young people in their careers.

I've often wondered why my "three amigos" helped me as much as they did. Was it because they saw themselves in me? Did I show more respect to them than others?

Maybe they each had someone in their lives that had reached out and guided them when they young. Maybe they were paying it forward...


Barry LaBov, CEO
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment