Monday, April 27, 2009

I need 80,000 sales right now!

It's the sales person's nightmare. The entrepreneur's dilemma... The need to sell a ton, now.

When I started my company, I'd wake up in the morning feeling I had no momentum. My job was to get everything kick started and push as hard as possible until I collapsed at the end of the day. Luckily I was young and could withstand the stress. That may explain why I started out with a full head of hair that is merely a memory today.

I literally felt that I needed to close thousands of sales right away. I finally started making progress when I realized that before I could make 10 sales, I had to sell my first one. Then my second, etc.

I also realized that I didn't--repeat--didn't need a bunch of sales--I really needed one or maybe two more.

Look at your customer list. Do you really need a hundred or so more? Or do you really need a couple more good ones? When I learned to focus on reality and finally got out of my own way, I could actually focus on the few real good prospects that I wanted to sell.

It's like the old Steve Martin comedy routine. He would pronounce that "Do you want to know how you can make a million dollars and NOT spend a dime on taxes?" His answer was, "First, start with a million dollars."

Want to know how to get 10 more clients? First, start by getting the first one.

Barry LaBov, CEO
LaBov and Beyond
http://www.labov.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment