Friday, April 22, 2011

The Power of Consistency

I believe one of the top causes of frustration, failure and stress in relationships is lack of consistency. We may be good at what we do, but if we can't be counted on, then at some point the world will crumble around us.

How often have you worked with someone who is great except you can't count on them? They promise to follow up, but don't, they don't respond to an email, they don't check their work. Yet, on the other hand, wow are they tremendous sometimes. They have great ideas, tons of energy and they really can make a difference.

Whether it be in a personal relationship or professional one, consistency trumps almost everything else. It's hard to judge whether an idea is genius, but it is easy to judge whether you responded back to me as promised. It's tough to tell if I'm the greatest people person in the world, but it is real easy to notice that I forget to finish the work I owe you.

If I can do what I promise consistently, you'll value me far more than if I'm brilliant but undependable.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment