Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Move up?

Every business book I've read, it seems, says that people want to move up, they want to grow to the next level. That means a leader needs to be ready for this and give opportunities to those individuals. It's pretty exciting. Except for the fact that it isn't reality.

Truth is, most of us don't want to "move up." We are comfortable where we are and want to stay that way as long we get more money from time to time. Now, for the record, I don't think that is bad, wrong or weak, at all. It's reality and if you understand that, you can be a better leader.

So, as I've I learned this, I have adapted to it. I do the following:
1) I do not assume the person wants to move up and never talk assumptively as if they do.
2) I do not hold out advancement as a carrot.
3) I do not guide or mentor a person unless they ask me to.
4) I do fall prey to someone saying they want to move up, I only get interested after see them act in that manner.
5) I enjoy what the person does do and find value in that, period.

Barry LaBov
LABOV Marketing Communications and Training
www.labov.com


No comments:

Post a Comment