Friday, March 13, 2009

"Well, I left a message"

We need to grow business, it's tough out there. We all know that. That's why we reach out to prospective customers.

Do you really want to grow business? If so, do yourself a favor and analyze where your customers came from and how you got them.

Most will come from referrals, very probably.

Look at the success stories you've had and how long and how often you talked with that person until they became a full fledged customer. Was it after one phone call? Was it within a week or two of meeting them? Probably not. Did they initially return your message? Or did you have to pursue them?

I just met with a Fortune 500 prospect that we may end up working with. I began talking with the gentleman six months ago. We've spoken dozens of times. I've gotten to know him. He's helped guide me on how to break through and get inside their company. By the time we met in-person for the first time just recently, I felt he was an old friend.

If we want to grow business--I mean really want to, the excuse "well, I left a message" is not enough, it will require numerous follow-ups just to have a chance to materialize.

No comments:

Post a Comment