Monday, March 9, 2009

Intensity versus Passion--Same thing?

Have you ever been told you're "too intense?" I have. Being an entrepreneur, from time to time, I've been real black and white about things that I thought were crucial. I pushed our company to do better, to not accept defeat, etc. Sometimes I was right, sometimes not.

The people that felt I was too intense, were telling me to lighten up, to lay back, to go easy. (By the way, I love many of those people and greatly value them.)

Fast forward to the times when my company has won awards for entrepreneurialism or for ethics, the same people from my company would introduce me at the award ceremony and talk glowingly about my passion. Much appreciated.

It occurs to me: passion and intensity are really the same thing. It's just that they're labeled differently based on the situation. If you're pushing your team or company and some feel you're too demanding, you will may be labeled as being "too intense." After you win the battle, your team will remark about your passion.

The goals are 1) to be reasonable in your intensity, not ugly or demotivating and 2) to push, to fight, to inspire enough to win. You'll probably need (1) to get to (2).

No comments:

Post a Comment