Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Buy-in before process, Part One

I admit it, I'm not a real "process" guy. Process, just the word itself, sounds cold and sterile to me. As I've aged, I've come to accept that processes are critical in any company.

But, the one thing I've learned is that while processes are important, they mean little unless they are "bought" by the individuals who are supposed to be executing them.

The greatest process in the world will fail if people don't understand or like them. However, if people really get it and feel a part of the creation of the process, it's an entirely different world.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
http://www.labov.com/

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Barry LaBov,
    It is so refreshing to finally hear that someone else views "processes" similarly as I do. As a small business owner myself, I understand how it can be alluring thought to think "I'm going to be a cool, laid-back boss that runs my company in a relaxed manner" but the fact of the matter is that having a set structure or process in which tasks are completed is important to having a successful business. Even if the processes are somewhat complicated or time consuming I have learned through my experiences, as I'm sure you have as well at LaBov and Beyond, that explaining the importance of these processes to employees will help motivate them to follow procedures and produce high quality products or services.

    For other business owners who are still skeptical about processes, or who are looking for other business tips, I would highly recommend reading this other Barry LaBov blog as well. It brings up a lot of interesting topics that make you reflect on how you're running your own business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaBov & Beyond is like a lot of companies, we have passion, we have fun, but we work. After all that's why clients pay us--we do something of worth. Passion doesn't have to be about something perfect, it's all about meaning. If I feel I do something that is valuable, I buy-in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete