Thursday, September 29, 2011

Old-school Communication

I'll stop by your office to chat about an issue
I'm waiting to see when the customer has time for me to drop by
I'm planning a trip to see my clients on the east coast
It's always better to talk in person
The customer is hard to reach, I've left a phone message
I asked when the customer will have a chance to come to our showroom

All of these statements sound sincere and logical. The goal is to see someone in person, to connect, to watch their body language, to shake their hand and feel the warmth. But all of this is old-school communication.

Today, most of us text, email, Skype, WebEx, and phone daily. Yet, often dealers or suppliers play the old- school game of waiting to have that in-person meeting where everything is perfect. I'd love to meet face-to-face, but 95% of the time it's not an option.

The 20-something generation prefers to text or Skype over talking on the phone. They don't feel that a person has to be in the room to be communicated with. It's time for all of us to learn this, that school (the new school of communication) is in session.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
http://www.labov.com/

2 comments:

  1. Dear Barry LaBov, I could not agree with you more! Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by all these new methods of communicating without actually seeing or talking to a person face-to-face. I miss the old days, when you actually developed closer, more personal relationships with clients. At the same time, using technologies like Skype, email and text really has done a lot for my company, allowing all of us to get things done quicker, and take on more clients. It's a mixed bag. But I really appreciate your pointing this out on the Barry LaBov blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Janice, the Barry LaBov blog team thanks you for joining in! Second of all, agreed, no matter how comfortable we are, we have to connect with others. And sometimes we can't wait to be most comfortable.
    Barry LaBov

    ReplyDelete