Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Great thinking vs mediocrity

I'm the Chief Creative Officer at my company, LaBov Marketing Communications and Training. I get to see some really great thinking on projects and quite often, that results in happy clients.

Many times we think of a great idea as something that dropped from the sky, angels started to sing and life was beautiful. But in reality, that's not the case.

Simply put, there is one difference between a great idea and mediocrity: an inspired concept or strategy.
Ideas that are regarded as great all have some inspiration behind themeven if it's flawed. I look back on some of my "big ideas" and once in a while I'm shocked that I was so excited about them. But, they all were concepts that had a strategy and, at least at the time, they were exciting.

Contrast that with an idea that is merely what the client asked for or what they did the last time and usually you'll find an idea that is soon forgotten.

I've told my creative team that if you have an inspired strategy or concept, you will be ahead of 90% of the competition that's just following orders. Most of the time, that's enough.

Barry LaBov
LaBov Marketing Communications and Training

www.labov.com



No comments:

Post a Comment