Monday, February 7, 2011

I don't want to hear about

Jenny isn't available, her grandson's birthday party is tonight
I can't make the appointment, I have to be at a party this morning
Excuse me, my son is at the airport and he's calling me
My boss would be with you except she had to be somewhere else


All of the above are actual comments made to me as I was trying to buy a large ticket item. I did not buy from the above people. It's not that I think it's wrong for any of them to deal with their son or grandson or go to a party. It's that I don't think I should have to hear about it. It actually hurts a sales opportunity, in fact. Had they been more discreet, I would have assumed they were on the phone with a customer, maybe buying the item I was interested in. But no, they let me know that my sale was less important than a party or a call or a meeting.

The less said the better.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment