Thursday, December 9, 2010

People vs. Objects

Do you look at people as persons like you with emotions, needs and desires? Or do you look at people as objects, something that is in the way of you getting things done?

I have to admit that I have been guilty of the latter in the middle of the daily business whirlwind, not even realizing it. Running around, trying to get something accomplished, overcoming issues, dealing with pressure, I've forgotten I was working with a person.

I wasn't aware of this until one of my friends told me she looked at people as objects and was trying to improve. At first I thought it was weird, uncomfortable to even use the term "object" in describing that situation. But after reading the book, Leadership and Self-Deception, I now understand the meaning.

We can accomplish things, we can be firm and resolute, as long as while we're working with others, we are seeing them people--people who are no different than we are. That alone will make a huge difference.


Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment