Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Every brand has a story

My wife and I once did a series of wine tastings in Napa and Sonoma. I had no idea how wine was made or what the difference was between a great wine and a good one. Little did I know that for me, and I think most of us, learning the story behind the wine makes it taste even better.

Brands and products all have a story. If we merely present them as being basically the same as the others, then we shortchange ourselves. Every great brand, from Harley-Davidson to Apple, has a story, a reason that the product was created or how it endured against the odds. To connect with a brand, we need that story, because we need to be told why something is unique in order to appreciate it. And once we know the story, it becomes part of us and it actually enhances our experience. If a product has a good story behind it and a company communicates that story in an engaging way, I’m much more likely to choose that product over one that has no story or character surrounding it.

Barry LaBov
LABOV Marketing Communications and Training
www.labov.com

No comments:

Post a Comment