Friday, April 20, 2012

A Tale of Two Brands


I just traveled and met with two iconic brands that compete head to head. They are located within a few miles of each other. Same business, same city, same product…. They couldn’t have been more different.

Little did I know, their industry market share reports were released the morning of my visits. Company #1 had fallen dramatically to Company #2 over the last quarter.

Lucky me, I met with Company #1 first and it was like walking into a morgue. Quiet, no energy.  The room was filled with their people, at least a dozen. They were preoccupied, talking in vague riddles to each other. Definitely on their heels.

I left and drove a few miles to Company #2. Lots of energy, smiles, fast paced. I met with one person there. He was excited about their goals and growth.

It might be a coincidence, but the company that was failing had an excess of people in the meeting. The one that was charging forward had one person meeting with me because others were too busy doing their jobs.

Barry LaBov
LaBov & Beyond Marketing Communications and Training
Fort Wayne, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment